How to help your blog load faster
Page speed got you down?
Google and Alexa both saying you’re not fast enough?
Here’s a quick tip on how to make your blog load faster for free.
As bloggers, we all love adding pictures to our blogs.
It’s recommended by every blogging guru out there and by Google.
It adds a bit of spark to your post and help break up text.
BUT if you’re uploading pictures incorrectly, you’re putting pressure on your server to display those pictures.
Here’s the deal.
- An average site is 960 pixels wide. Mine happens to be 1105 pixels wide, but I’m a bloody rebel, so it’s all good. 😉
- A picture taken with your smartphone, is on average 1600 pixels wide.
- Pictures grabbed from photo stock sites like Fotolia.com or Creative Commons search of Google Images can be anywhere from 800 to 2300 pixels wide.
- Average post areas are around 500 to 700 pixels wide.
- On average, bloggers insert pictures in their posts and choose the medium option, which can be 300 or 400 pixels wide or the thumbnail option which is about 50pixels wide.
Basically, if you’re not shrinking your picture first, you’re putting pressure on your server to read this huge ass files and scale it down to display at the size you’ve chosen.
And scaling the image from within WordPress doesn’t help, because the server will still have to deal with this huge ass image you uploaded.
So today, I’m sharing with you a simple, free way to give your readers and Google what it wants – a speeder site!
It won’t solve all your worries and if you’ve been uploading your pictures at the exact size you plan to post, then this won’t help you at all. But it’s still cool to watch. Cause ya’ know…it stars me!
And hey, if you’ve found the video helpful, do a fellow blogger a solid and share!
Oh, by the way, it’s posted on youtube, that’s why i mention heading back to the blog to read the post.
Just to clarify.
No I’m not crazy.
Though I’ve been sick for over a week and bogged down with work.
Someone make me soup…please.
Ok, going to drag my sinus infection back to bed. Chow peeps.