Blog Promotion Tips
Looking for blog promotion tips?
I know, blog promotion can be hard. Especially if you’re a new blogger and not sure where to start. Or what if you have a 9 to 5? Or kids to chase? Blog promotion can be time consuming. But you’ve got to start somewhere right? I mean, you’re here because you want to promote your blog.
Here are blog promotion tips anyone can succeed with.. You’ve got great writing you want to share. You want visitors. You want readers. You want interaction.
SO, start with one thing. Maybe the most important thing when it comes to being a blogger (besides actually blogging)…
Blog-hop. Yep. Seriously. Heading over to other blogs and leaving comments and interacting with those bloggers is crucial to promoting your own posts. Leaving a well thought-out genuine comment encourages those bloggers to check out your blog.
These are a few of the steps I’ve used to promote my posts and my thoughts in general about the available options out there .
Ways to Promote Your Posts
- Blog Hop and leave comments.
- Join the sites of blogs you like.
- Get to know other bloggers. List the ones you like in your blog roll. This may encourage some to list you right back!
- Create Social Media profiles on any or all of the sites listed in the next step.
- Socialize. Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, whatever fits your writing.
- Join Facebook pages, Linkedin groups and sit in on tweet chats. Tweet chats can be pretty fun.
- Add Social Media icons to your blog that links to your social media profiles so people can connect with you.
- Connect with the bloggers you like via their social media icons that lead to their social media profiles.
- Join networking sites. There are all kinds of networking sites for all kinds of niches from gamers to football fans to relationships to parenthood. Find those like minded bloggers and hangout with them. Jump in on discussions, visit their posts on the site, head over to their blogs.
- Share excerpts of your posts on Networking sites like Blogher, Sverve, Social Moms and Bloggy Moms, you know, if you’re a mom. Otherwise, the networking sites you’ve joined may also give you that option.
- Submit your posts to social book marking sites. StumbleUpon, Digg, Del.icio.us and Chime.in amongst so many others.
- Search engine optimize your posts so people “searching” for your topics can find you.
- Syndicate your posts by submitting your rss feed to sites such as www.Feedage.com, www.Feedagg.com, www.IceRocket.com and www.Technorati.com . These will give you backlinks to your site and they also automatically update every time you create a new post so it is a great way to get your content syndicated across the web easily.
- Also, if you’re a mom blogger, creating business cards with QR codes, is a good tool too. I haven not done it myself, but I’ve been told that it works.
I know this list may seem like a lot. Take it one step at a time. You’ll be fine.
Before you dive in, watch this important service announcement about QR codes.
Just to relieve the tension.
Now let’s get down to business.
Search Engine Optimization of your posts brings traffic.
Your insider info, your how-to(s), your reviews, everyday, hundreds of times a day, people are searching for it.
People who didn’t know you existed but are looking for exactly what you’re offering.
SEO is as important as Social Media for every blogger who doesn’t want to be buried on page 21 of a Google Search Results Page.
And I’m not just talking about on page optimization. There is too much more.
If you’re a blogger who wants to make money from
- her own ebook
- affiliate ads
- charging good money for ad placement
then you need to increase your traffic to target those who NEED your posts.
To increase your traffic you need to:
- organize your blog
- search engine optimize your blog (not just the posts)
- get your blog indexed
- build back links to your blog
- syndicate excerpts of your posts
- get social
Here are a few posts on the search engine optimizing your blog.
- Here’s How I Get Blog Traffic
- Why Bloggers Can’t Ignore Google Plus
- Google Plus Primer For Bloggers
- Google Guidelines 2012 And How It Affects Your Blog
- How To Embrace the Google Penguin
- 7 Easy Ways To Screw Yourself Out Of Google Traffic
- Learn How TO Make Google Luv Your BLog
Photo Credit: © Paul Fleet – Fotolia.com
Social Media For Promotion
Now I know you haven’t been living under a rock. If you’ve gone so far as to put up a blog, you’ve probably created a Facebook Fanpage, a Linkedin profile and a Twitter account. If you have, great! Now, my question is, have you been using these social media platforms? I don’t mean just auto publishing your posts. I mean actually using these platforms.
( i can’t lie, when my home business is super busy, I barely find the time to engage and end up auto sharing my posts. it happens. but i also auto tweet great posts from other bloggers too. when life gets busy, it’s the best i can do.)
Expanding your web presence beyond your website, isn’t enough.
You need to be personable. You need to be social. You need to network. It’s during the times when I find time to chill on SM that my blog picks up the most traffic.
Here is my take on Social Media is post form (some will take you to my other blog):
- Google Plus Primer For Bloggers
- Extra Luv for 10 Awesome Bloggers
- Bitten By The Twitter Bug
- Social Media For The Entrepreneur
- Don’t Just Share Your Posts, Share Your Blog!
- 4 Steps to Having Social Media Icons That Match Your Theme
- Mind Your Social Media Manners Please
- Bloody Facebook Timelines
- How @KevinRose is Kicking My Butt
- The Twitter Rant
- Facebook Humor
- Klout – Bitchin or Something To Bitch About?
- Who’s the Queen of Twitter Tools?
- Finding Support in Blogging + Social Media
- Test Driving Triberr
- 3 Ways Twitter Can Boost Your Traffic
- Exposing Your Blog
- Rocking your Gravatar
Where to Start Networking
There are many networking sites, that give you the option of adding your picture, a link to your site, your twitter info and these sites offer a blog page. This doesn’t mean you need to create posts specifically for the networking site. Nor do you copy and paste a whole post from your site (cause then what’s the point of visiting you). Every time you write a new post for your blog, add an excerpt to your networking site’s blog page. On most sites it comes up in a Member’s Posts section, or something similar. This is added exposure. But, this isn’t a one way street. Make the time to visit other blog pages on the site. Engage. Socialize.
And don’t forget the Social Media Sites
Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, Linkedin, etc, etc, etc
Photo credit: Blog promotion, Using social media—Ethan Hein (Flickr.com)